Thursday, May 17, 2012

Installing EUtils perl module

In my recent post on Using R to graph a subject trend in PubMed I used the EUtils Perl module. There are detailed general instructions on how to install Perl module here for all major OS. What I did on my Mac is that.
I downloaded the archive from http://bioinformatics.tgen.org/brunit/downloads/tgen-eutils/ and ran those commands.
tar -xzf TGen-EUtils-0.13.tar.gz
cd TGen-EUtils-0.13
## instruction are in the INSTALL file
perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
sudo make install
And that's it folks.

3 comments:

  1. Hi David

    Thanks for the post! I tried doing as per the instructions. I do not know how to work with PERL but I followed your steps. I was able to complete until the step to install the TGen Untils. But I am unable to proceed further.

    Error in cmd: 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command...

    I have saved the files in R and also saved the perl file.

    Can you help me understand this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the error you get I would say you do not have the 'make' program installed on your machine. If you have a Mac it could means you haven't installed the developer tools (alias Xcode: https://developer.apple.com/xcode ). On Windows... no idea.

      Delete
    2. I do have the MakeFile in my system. I use Windows.. Maybe I can post it on R bloggers and hope someone might help me with the Windows version. Thanks! :)

      Delete